1. What is Syn4Data?
Syn4Data is a scientific effort aimed at solving problems in the biomedical research field. This website provides you an easy-to-use tool employing the methodology our team developed. Upload the biomedical research of your interest, publications and/or projects ) and Syn4Data will provide you a quantified cloud of the most relevant research topics for your research (see here how).
2. Scientific Panomorama and its Challenges for the Scientific Community
- Increase in numbers of published papers;
- Creation of multidisciplinary and establishment competence transversal projects;
- Researcher are more qualified, with richer and broader backgrounds;
- Research departments tendency to grow in size.
This panorama leads to difficulties in:
- Transformation of information into available knowledge;
- Definition of author, academic research departments and R&D units skillsets;
- Effective communication of scientific advances and áreas of expertise between departments and with the public;
- Project classification and funding;
- stablishing evidence-based decisions regarding research at the organization level.
3. How does Syn4Data work?
- Step 1: Syn4Data takes your input (text, excel or form) and extracts titles, abstracts and keywords.
- Step 2A: Keywords are submitted to UMLS batch and converted into UMLS terminology. Obtained UMLS terms are then meta-mapped into MeSH terms.
- Step 2B: Titles and abstracts are submitted to MeSH on Demand tool and are text-mined to obtain further MeSH terms;
- Step 3: You inspect the results to reduce automation errors (~8%) and reupload your file;
- Step 4: Syn4Data generates a frequency-based word cloud for your research terms;
- Step 5: Configure your cloud to your satisfaction and download!
4. Can Syn4Data help Researchers?
Our clouds use a standard biomedical language - MeSh terms (see here), adding reproducibility and comparability between data sources . We believe that through published research metadata and data visualization, we can efficiently describe and sumarize skillsets, areas of expertise and identify trends in the biomedical field.
Information about which research is being done where, who is doing it and based on which skills are fundamental questions that we have to answer to improve science-related decision-making and potentiate synergies.
5. Examples of use
- Create an Academic ID: Submit your published research and/or undergoing projects and you will sumarize your research areas for you;
- Describe your Organization Skillset: Summarize research topics and skills of a research department or R&D facility based on its research;
- Analyse a Scientific Area: Quickly identify trending research topics in a research area of your choosing.
6. Presentations and Awards:
- Congress presentation: Presented at the XI YES Meeting at O'Porto - Awarded Honorable Mention in Parallel Oral Section "Public Health and Medical Informatics".